Thursday, August 14, 2008

When I was a young man...

I was digging through a box of old photos the other day and ran across a little snapshot of me taken when Jill and I were dating and we had nothing better to do than go around the mid-west with a band I worked with and do what young couples do: listen to loud music and drink a beer or two. I may have had a couple more, but that's not really the point now is it? I had just turned 20 and am in full metal rock god gear onstage at Wishbone's in Columbus, Nebraska while working for the Street Legal band out of Beemer, Nebraska. Sometimes for the last couple of songs I would come up and play, a fun 10 minutes in my life.


Yes, that is my hair. Yes, that is a white leather fringy jacket ala' John Bon Jovi (whom I was once mistaken for in the Sioux Falls, ND airport for by a 10-year old kind once). Yes, I cry when I think about that guitar I sold (a 1964 Gibson Les Paul Custom "Fretless Wonder") for a pittance. Yes, my lovely wife Jill (then my lovely girlfriend Jill) took the photo and I remember it was with a red plastic Vivitar 35mm point-and-shoot.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are STILL a young man! Remember, the older YOU get the older I get! I love this shot and remember quite well your incredible hair (and guitar playing) :)

Uncle John and I have been going through slides in preparation for scanning them and have found some great shots of you and Jill and David from this time period. I was going to use them to blackmail you, but I guess the furry little cat is already out of the bag!

Anonymous said...

I came to your blog through another CCAI Mom (Jenni Wainner). Her oldest son is a former student of mine.

At any rate - I had a good chuckle when I saw the 'Street Legal' name. I attended college in Fremont NE ('84-'89). I may have been in the crowd at quite a few of your gigs - .... and my daughter thinks I'm not 'hip' (what does she know?)

Thanks for the walk down memory lane!

James O'Rear said...

I find that people who think they are cool are most irritating to those of us who really are cool... LOL!

I am continually amazed at how small the world really is. Jenni's a great gal, please give her my warmest regards when you see her.

As for Auntie Vickie; let the blackmailing commence! Just don't make me your infamous bubblegum spaghetti...

Anonymous said...

James, the hair is truly impressive! Glad I stumbled accross your blog. If you have any of that hair left, Keelin could still use some....

-Amy Who Used To Live In Alaska-